Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Summer of Quilting

My sister Kristine told me about an article she read which described how the author and his brother had decided to name each summer and then create a tradition to suit the name.

I have a quilt that I started in 2003 with my then-roommates. It is still unfinished, mostly because the only thing I know how to do (or did a month ago) was piece the top. When I started a second quilting project, my summer found it's name.

My friend Laura started a "Quilting Club" enrichment class and taught me to make this beautiful object:



Take note: there are some very exciting "unique features" (maybe Kim is the only one to remember that inside joke). For example, I did the machine quilting myself!!! It seemed so daunting, but it really wasn't too bad. :)



Also, the corners are mitered, which was that bad, but I did it nonetheless. Bravo, me!

Overall, it's pretty much amazing, and so am I.



So now I am finishing my big quilting project that has been sitting for so long. It's been pretty adventurous to figure it out, but it's fun at the same time. Watch out, soon I'll be on to the next one!

8 comments:

kstrack said...

Yay, Bethany! You did great! What a great enrichment group to have and what a cute project!

Dan said...

Bethany, Lilon says you encourage her to finish her several quilting projects. Some she started back in High School. Also, she empathizes with the difficulty of mitering.

Anonymous said...

WOw!! That is beautiful. you did a really nice job.

Stefanie said...

Bethany I am super impressed! Way to go girl.

Brandon . Ash . Bennnett said...

Hey Bethany!!

I was so excited to come across your blog. I love the quilt you made... Very impressive. It is great to get an update. Your little guy is so cute. We miss you guys and look forward to seeing you in a month or so!

Take care,
Ashley Christensen

Shauna said...

Impressive!!!! I am learning how to use my new sewing machine so I can break out a few projects with my little girls before summer ends!

ellen insights said...

Bethany and Micheal, how are you both? This is Geoff and Ellen your long lost Provo and Impact friends. (I still think that it is amazing that we both had gone through Impact, and then were in the same ward.)Bethany, your quilting looks great. I did some quilting myself this spring. It helped my appriciate the work the goes into a quilt. We have a blog as well. You'll have to check it out.

We have a private family one. So e-mail me and I will hook you up with the password. (ellengoldsborough@gmail.com)

Then Geoff has a business blog. check out: montelloalpacacompany.blogspot.com

We hope to hear from you soon.

maggie-t said...

Bethany, I didn't know you started blogging again. I will have to read all your posts to catch up. that quilt looks pretty much amazing. I love the idea of naming the summers. I think that sounds like a fun tradition. So when do you guys head out of town? Isn't it soon? Are you excited? I am excited for you.